Monument record MTN 067 - Romano-British field system and Saxon activity, Woods Lane, Melton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 269 505 (394m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||MELTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FIELD SYSTEM? (Late Iron Age to Roman - 0 AD to 100 AD)
- DITCH (Late Iron Age to Roman - 0 AD to 100 AD)
- DITCH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- PIT (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- BURNT AREA (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
2014: Evaluation revealed evidence for the remains of a Romano-British field system across the entire excavation area, with the larger ditches functioning as field boundaries and the others reflecting smaller subdivisions or drainage ditches. Pottery was recovered from a number of ditches, dating to 1st century AD. Fired clay was also recovered. Several undated ditches may also be associated with this field system.
An area of Saxon activity was identified in the south western corner, consisting of a series of ditches and two large pits. Pottery recovered from these features mainly date to the Early Saxon period (5th-8th centuries). A large ditch containing one sherd of Ipswich Ware indicated potential continuity into the Middle Saxon period and truncated some earlier ditches suggesting that there was a reorganisation of the land in the mid-later Saxon period. A sub-rectangular feature was revealed containing pieces of charcoal and daub, fired clay, flint and animal bone.The quantities of charcoal and fired clay may indicate the presence of kiln or oven structures in the vicinity. Adjacent was a larger pit which may have functioned as a quarry/rubbish pit.
One post-medieval field boundary was also seen. Other undated features, include two possible enclosures and a number of pits, which may reflect prehistoric activity. A sherd of Bronze Age pottery was discovered in a palaeo-channel alongside lithics (S1).
- <S1> SSF58445 Unpublished document: Jeffery, E.. 2014. Archaeological Evaluation, Woods Lane, Melton.
- FSF46940: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF46941: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46942: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46943: POTTERY (Early Saxon to Middle Saxon - 410 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF46944: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 650 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF46945: FIRED CLAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46946: FIRED CLAY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF46947: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46948: DEBITAGE (Unknown date)
- FSF46949: RETOUCHED FLAKE (Unknown date)
- FSF46950: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 4:54PM