Monument record NEN 011 - Former field boundary, Rogers Farm, Boxford.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 926 418 (502m by 262m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval to Late 20th century - 1540 AD to 1970 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
2013: Geophysical survey identified a former field boundary as well as anomalies of modern or geological origin (S1).
2014: Evaluation recorded two substantial Roman quarry pits. The backfill of one of these contained large quantities of CBM suggestive of the presence of a Roman building in the vicinity. Remains of medieval and late post-medieval/modern field systems were also recorded. The evaluation displayed a broad correspondence with the geophysical survey, although there were a few features which had not been detected by the survey as well as a few anomalies which were not found to correspond to below-ground archaeological remains (S2).
- FSF47034: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47035: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47036: POTTERY (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF47037: POTTERY (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47038: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47039: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47040: IMBREX (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47041: TEGULA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF47042: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47043: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47044: NAIL (Unknown date)
- FSF47045: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
- FSF47046: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1540 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2018 11:46AM