Monument record NKT 051 - 17th century Palace Stables, Newmarket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 644 633 (40m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- STABLE (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- WALL? (Unknown date)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- WALL (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FLOOR (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- DEMOLITION DEBRIS (Unknown date)
- LAYER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- WALL (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- DRAIN (17th century - 1600 AD? to 1699 AD?)
2011: Geophysical survey was carried out on the site of the main stable block, however modern services have distorted the effectiveness of the ground penetrating radar. However, an L-shaped wall line was identified and can be attributable to the original palace stables. A sub-circular anomaly was part of the stable complex that survived through to the early edition Ordnance Survey mapping (S1).
2011: Evaluation and assessment by Time Team who investigated King Charles II's Royal Palace and racing stables. The current Palace House Mansion and entrance steps are Grade II* listed (See NKT 005) and the Palace House Stables are Grade II (see NKT 035). The original Palace was thought the have been constructed in 1671 by Charles II, although James I appears to have built a Palace within the near vicinity in 1608 (the exact location is now lost), and a second residence in 1614. Time Team's excavations found evidence of at least two phases of stables associated with the 17th century Palace House Mansion. The earliest phase largely conformed to the 1740s plan of the complex, apart from a large internal clunch-built, load-bearing wall, possibly mirrored by a geophysical anomaly on the opposite side of the building. What was uncovered comprised part of the frontage wall, including the entrance; the 'spine' wall which divided the stable block into two; the entrance passage leading to the stairwell; and what appears to have been an 'extra' foundation wall which was part of the original build, but which was never built upon. The frontage wall, facing the stable-yard had a foundation of roughly square-cut clunch blocks, its importance as the from wall was shown by its brick facing. The central wall of the stables was also clunch-built and formed the 'spine' on to which the two rows of individual stalls would have backed, although the stalls themselves were not revealed. Two narrow red brick walls formed the main entrance corridor to the stable block, running across the block to the central wall, with a room on either side, each containing stalls set against the central wall. Two areas of floor comprise a single layer of unfrogged bricks. These brick surfaces corresponded to the area of the stairwell shown on the 1740s plan which would have led to an upper chamber with a window overlooking the stable yard. Beneath the stable block was an occupation deposit that contained two sherds of medieval pottery (13th/14th century).
The stables were later renovated internally by the addition of a further internal clunch wall and a resurfacing of the stable floor, possibly within the 19th century. Possibly associated with this phase of remodelling was a brick-built drain. A later addition to the stables was a series of brick pads to the north-east of the spinal wally, but their function is uncertain. The excavations uncovered a yellow brick floor, within the floor area, individual stalls were denoted by lines of red bricks. A poorly built clunch wall truncated the earliest phase of the stables. The remodelling respected the original building alignments and suggests that parts at least of the original stable were still in use in its later phase and that the original main entrance was still in use. The second construction phase can probably be linked to the remodelling of the stables in the mid 19th century by Baron de Rothschild. The remodelled stables seem only to have functioned for a short period. By 1886 the stables had been partially demolished and adapted for use as the Trainer's House (NKT 035) which incorporated the existing northern wall of the stables and some of its architectural features, including the voussoir windows (S2).
2013: Geophysical survey using ground penetrating radar recorded elements of the former Charles II stable block, with some of these correlating well with Thomas Fort's plan of 1760. However the survey also revealed a foundation abutting what would have been the south wall of the royal stable block, assumed to be contemporary with this, and the footings of the spine wall of the present 'Trainer's House'. This wall line does not match the 1760 plan therefore either the stable had been altered by the time this plan was drawn or that the stable was in part reusing remnants of an earlier structure. A discrete zone of disturbance in the sout-wst of the courtyard may relate to a former stable building pre-dating the Charles II structure (S3).
- <S1> SSF58464 Unpublished document: Adcock, J. and Wood, E.. 2011. Geophysical Survey Report, Newmarket, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF58469 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2013. Archaeological Evaluation and Assessment of Results 2011, National Horse Racing Museum, Newmarket.
- <S3> SSF58465 Unpublished document: Adcock, J.. 2013. Geophysical Survey Report, Palace House Stables, Newmarket.
- FSF47013: POTTERY (13th century to 14th century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF47014: POTTERY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47015: BRICK (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF47016: BRICK (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47017: CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47018: BOTTLE (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF47019: WINDOW GLASS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF47020: BUTTON (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF47021: BUTTON (18th century to 20th century - 1700 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF47022: STRAP END (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- FSF47023: CROTAL (17th century to 19th century - 1600 AD? to 1899 AD?)
- FSF47024: HANDLE (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF47025: WEIGHT (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF47026: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF47027: COIN (18th century - 1770 AD to 1775 AD)
- FSF47028: FLAKE (Unknown date)
- FSF47029: CORE (Unknown date)
- FSF47030: WHETSTONE (Unknown date)
- FSF47031: SLAG (Unknown date)
- FSF47032: OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- FSF47033: NAIL (17th century to 19th century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2018 2:57PM