Monument record DNN 014 - Moat Farm; Pyeshall Manor (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2783 6951 (132m by 140m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRUNDISH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||DENNINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOVECOTE (17th century to 18th century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- GARDEN (17th century to 18th century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- GATE (17th century to 18th century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (17th century to 18th century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- PIT (14th century to 16th century - 1301 AD to 1500 AD)
Moat, occupied, irregular. On parish boundary (S1).
Manor of Pyeshall acquired by Henry Edgar (d.1619). His son, Myles, commissioned an estate map in 1627 which shows the house on the moat, a small formal garden in front of the house, a dovecote on the edge of the moat at TL 2785 6955 and an orchard to the S of the house. On the E side of the moat a rectangular `Milkin Yarde' is shown with two buildings on its edge. A bridge and a gate structure gave access from the yard to the house. A `new orchard' occupied the enclosure to the S of the moat. A tree-lined avenue approaches from the E side (S2)(S3).
1994: Site scheduled (S4).
1997: Evaluation of N & S ends of existing house. Pit with C12-C14 pottery identified in S end evaluation pit. Nothing other than garden soil at N end (S5)(S6).
August 1998: Monitoring of contruction trenches, following an evaluation carried out in February 1997. This inspection confirmed the evaluation findings as the only disturbance below the topsoil was caused by Post Medieval pits and foundations, the latter being closed to the existing structure and of late 19th or early 20th modern date (S7).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM26NW1, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: part copy of (S2)(S5).
- <S2> SSF12121 (No record type): Norfolk Record Office, NRS 11903.
- <S3> SSF5586 (No record type): Easton T & Martin E, Framsden & Eye, some garden history, PSIA 37 pt 4, 1992, 395-8.
- <S4> SSF5719 (No record type): English Heritage Scheduling information, SAM file, 1994.
- <S5> SSF19005 (No record type): SAU, Boulter S, Evaluation information (additional), March 1997, plan.
- <S6> SSF19500 (No record type): SAU, Newman J & Boulter S, SCCAS, Report 97/14, 1997, ill.
- <S7> SSF59140 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1998. Archaeological Monitoring Record: Moat Farmhouse, Dennington (DNN 014).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 21 2019 1:04PM