Monument record BSE 446 - Medieval flint precinct wall and pits at the land to the rear of The Guildhall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8527 6406 (14m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2014: Five test pits revealed well preserved archaeological deposits across the site. Within the area of the Guildhall Yard, three pits and evidence of a flint built precinct wall which had originally enclosed the complex were identified. Two of the pits were contemporary with the remodelling of the building in the 15th century. The third pit predated the construction of the wall, although the evidence suggests that there was not substantial activity on the site prior to the construction of the Guildhall. All of the pottery recovered from this part of the site dated to the 12th century and later. The low level of domestic activity in the Guildhall yard reflects its standing as a public office. The lack of domestic activity is a stark contrast to what was found in the two pits to the rear of 79 Whitling Street (See BSE 499) (S1).
- <S1> SSF56134 Unpublished document: Gill, D. 2014. Archaeological Excavation Report: Test Pits at the Guildhall, Bury St Edmunds.
- FSF40455: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF40456: POTTERY (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF40457: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF40458: ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF40459: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40460: FIRED CLAY (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40461: PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40462: NAIL (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40463: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF40464: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2016 1:17PM