Monument record COM 041 - Roman ditch and Medieval ditches at Poplar Hill, Combs , Farrier Road, Stowmarket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0429 5715 (299m by 359m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2015: Evaluation revealed 2 sherds of Roman pottery recovered from a ditch that may have formed part of a rectilinear enclosure on the crest of the hill. Further to the north, near the base of the slope that overlooks the small stream that forms the site's northern boundary, a medieval ditch system was investigated. Sherds of 11th to 14th century pottery were recovered from two of the ditches, along with a small assemblage of animal bone. The other ditches in this area are undated but several are probably associated with the ditch system. Other features included former field boundary ditches, agricultural trenches and a modern quarry pit (S1).
- <S1> SSF58106 Unpublished document: Brown, R.. 2015. Archaeological Evaluation, Land off Farrier's Road and Poplar Hill, Stowmarket.
- FSF46039: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF46040: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46041: POTTERY (IPS: Early Medieval to 14th century - 1066 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF46042: POTTERY (19th century to 20th century - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- FSF46043: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46044: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 27 2019 2:34PM