Monument record WLN 084 - Cropmarks of possible field system
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4717 7095 (472m by 364m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
February 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Fragmentary ditches which may make up a possible field system, along with at least one possible rectangular enclosure are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3) on land to the south of Dunwich Forest, Westleton. They are visible amongst a great deal of background geological marks, hence it was difficult to be certain of the extent of the archaeological features, however there were a number of possible pit features visible on two years of photography (S1)-(S2) which could be interpreted as possible sunken feature buildings, although they may relate to extraction pits.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th February 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/73332 V 030-031 23-JUN-1973 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. CUCAP RC8AQ022-023 04-JUN-1974 (Print).
- <S3> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service SAU AGD 03 15-JUL-1977 (Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM47SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22912)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2015 3:38PM