Monument record BUG 005 - Medieval Moat and 17th century barns, Loom's Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2442 5264 (120m by 107m)|
|Civil Parish||BURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- THRESHING BARN (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- STABLE (16th century to 18th century - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
- MILKING PARLOUR (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- HAYLOFT (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- COW HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- PIT (Unknown date)
Moat, isolated, occupied (derelict house), 3 arms of small square/ rectangle, close to BUG 004 (S1)(R1).
1997: Monitoring trenches for new extension on east side of farmhouse revealed one small pit, brick and tile fragments & oyster shells, but no dateable finds (S2).
2013: A building survey at the site identified a 4 bay timber-framed threshing barn, dating to the 17th C. It's frame was no longer in-tact, however, as a number of sections had been replaced. The roof was also a 20th C replacement. A 19th C cattle shed which one stood at the site had been demolished and replaced with a 20th C structure. A 17th C 2 bay milking parlour and 5 bay stable with a hayloft above was also present. Part of the stable appears to also contain re-used 16th C timbers (S3).
- <S1> SSF11412 (No record type): Moat file, plan, details, photos.
- <M1> SSF46195 (No record type): Moat file: details, map, photos..
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 606.
- <S2> SSF50941 Unpublished document: Abbott, C.. 1997. Monitoring, Looms Farmhouse, Burgh.
- <S3> SSF55290 Unpublished document: Blanchflower, J. 2013. Loom Farm Barns, Heritage Asset Assessment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2018 1:18PM