Monument record ADB 208 - Earthworks of banks and ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4509 5938 (561m by 405m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Earthworks of undated banks and ditches are visible on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3)on land to the east of Leiston Road, Aldeburgh. It is possible that these features relate to medieval to post medieval field boundaries, at least in part, although the criss-cross pattern of earthworks (which has not been mapped in entirety) may relate to post medieval drainage or possibly to peat cuttings similar to those recorded to the east (SHER ADB 019, ARG 006).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 6th March 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5049-5050 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3257-3258 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/69069 V 142-143 05-APR-1969 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 12:00PM