Monument record HXN 016 - Oakley Park Stables; Hoxne Hall (PMed)

Please read our .


Site of Hoxne Hall (also known since the C19 as Oakley Park). Listed Building.


Grid reference Centred TM 1762 7714 (105m by 170m)
Map sheet TM17NE


Type and Period (7)

Full Description

Site of Hoxne Hall (also known since the C19 as Oakley Park) and [second?] Bishop's palace. The house site is now (1993) under grass, but the lines of the buried walls and internal divisions are visible at ground level and from the air. Vaulted brick cellars still survive below ground level (part of a brick arch visible in a small hole). The only standing remains are the separate courtyard-plan stable block to the N of the house and a dilapidated terrace wall to the E. The stable is C19 brick-built with stone dressings and a domed turret over the main gate, now in poor condition. The terrace wall is also C19, brick base with brick and cement piers and the remains of iron railings (S1-S3).
Hall is said to be on the site of the medieval palace of the Bishops of Norwich (S4)(S5) - see Med and also HXN 006. Manor taken by the Crown in 1535. Leased to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk 1536-7 and granted 1543 to Sir Robert Southwell, Master of the Rolls. Remained with Southwell family until 1621, then Prescott family until 1642, Maynards until 1817 and then Kerrisons (S6).
Map of 1619 depicts a tall 4-storey gatehouse in a long range fronting the E side of a rectangular moat. Behind it lay a courtyard leading the front of the house. A formal garden is shown on the N side of the courtyard and house. At the rear of the moated platform were various ancillary buildings, including a dovecote, and an orchard (S7). The moat and house, but not the gatehouse, are shown on a map of 1700 (S8). By 1757 the moat had been filled in and the house, though still in the same place, appears to have undergone some remodelling. It is shown surrounded by a large and complex garden and park (also see HXN 022 for the park)(S9). The house was extensively remodelled 1830 by Sidney Smirke for Sir Edward Kerrison, giving it giant porticos on the S & W (entrance) sides. Demolished in the 1930s (S10)(S11). Ground plan of the house shown on the OS 1:2500 maps of 1884 and 1904. For an engraving of the house during Viscount Maynard's ownership, see (S10).
2003: Monitoring of groundworks associated with conversion of the stable block to dwelling. The stables appear to have been constructed on a hardcore pad, as such the area was heavily disturbed. Whilst most of the excavated trenches were quite shallow, suggestions of the moat known to have occupied the site were seen in trenches on the east and west sides of the building. These dark humic layers probably represent remains of the northern and eastern moat arms. PMed brickwork, mainly drains and culverts were noted in the trenches to the east of the building and the service trench to the south-west - details in (S7).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
See also Med.

Sources/Archives (18)

  • <S1> (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, site visit, 1993.
  • <R1> (No record type): White's Directory of Suffolk.
  • <M1> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BTC 085.
  • <S2> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BTC 085.
  • <M2> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopies of parts of (S7) & (S10) and OS 1:2500 map; (S13).
  • <S3> (No record type): Buildings at Risk 1992, Suffolk County Council, 49, ill.
  • <S4> (No record type): Manning, C.R.. Manning C R, Hoxne, PSIA VII pt 1, 1889, XXIX.
  • <S5> (No record type): Scarfe N, Suffolk Landscape, 1972, rev 1987, pl 23.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk IV, 50f.
  • <S7> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HD40:422. Reproduced in (S5)..
  • <S8> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich HB21:280/1.
  • <S9> (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich HA68:484/752.
  • <S10> (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses III, E Anglia, 1981, 254-5 & i.
  • <S10> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. SRO(I) 942.64 (Cromwell, 'Excursions through the County of Suffolk Vol. II).
  • <S11> (No record type): Haward B, Kindred R & Brown C, Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, 1991, 182.
  • <S12> Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP, 73 094 290, 1973.
  • <S13> Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. SCCAS, Everett L, No 2003/141, Oct 2003, ill.
  • <S14> Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 22 2012 11:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.