Monument record SUT 245 - World War Two training site/gun emplacement/anti-aircraft battery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3325 4649 (74m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
August 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Several possible gun emplacements which may have formed an anti-aircraft battery and were likely to be part of military training within the Woodbridge training area (SHER SUT 250) are visible as former earthworks on aerial photographs (S1)-(S5) on land to the east of Sutton Common. Five pits are visible, the central one appears to have an entrance ditch or possible slit trench attached to it. This is one of three such sites (SHER SUT 244-246) in this area. It is possible that this site was one of two field artillery sites to the south east of Sutton Common classified as ‘D’ Bty, 51 Hvy Regt, 4 – 9.2 inch Hows, depicted in (S6), which made up part of the ‘coastal crust’ field artillery defensive sites. Three other sites have been recognised in this area which may potentially belong to this field artillery group (SHER HLY 115, HLY 142 and SUT 244).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 10th September 2015.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RP 3092-3093 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RP 3410-3411 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1033 V 0063-0064 23-FEB-1953 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1672 F22 045-0346 03-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print.
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/543/1883 F22 0193-0194 27-SEP-1962 (EHA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF55910 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. and Sims, D.. 2015. A Guide to Second World War Archaeology in Suffolk. Guide 3: Orford to Felixstowe. 3 vols. Fig 32, p.25.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2015 2:23PM