Monument record LMD 250 - Medieval occupation activity, Land south of Bull Lane
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 871 457 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Archaeological evaluation identified features and finds dating from the Neolithic to the post medieval period. Pre-medieval remains were restricted to residual artefacts in later features and subsoil deposits. These nevertheless attest to a presence un the landscape as early as the Neolithic period. Medieval features, comprising several ditches, and a quantity of pits/postholes were located in the central and eastern parts of the site. A midden layer was also identified. Post-medieval ditches, including one identified as a field boundary shown on 19th-century maps, probably denote the presence of multiphase agricultural enclosure systems extending across the site (S1).
- --- SSF58230 Unpublished document: King, S.. 2016. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land South of Bull Lane,, Long Melford.
- FSF46122: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF46123: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46124: ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46125: CERAMIC (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46126: FIRED CLAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46127: OYSTER SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46128: BUCKLE (15th century to 18th century - 1400 AD to 1799 AD)
- FSF46136: STRAP END (IPS: Late Medieval Transitional to IPS: Post Medieval - 1451 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46137: STUD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46138: BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 9:28AM