Monument record IPS 814 - West corner of Cox Lane and Carr Street, Ipswich, (IAS 3405).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1660 4456 (37m by 48m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (0)
1908: Thetford Ware found in 1908, could mean 1928?
1928: Late Saxon pottery kiln and Thetford ware found during enlargement of Co-op premises in Carr Street/Cox Lane in 1928. Basil Brown sketch of kiln and pottery in archive. This find is referred to in cutting from EADT 24.8.57, when S E West was excavating on same site (IAS 3503, IPS 813) (S1). Evidence for presence of kilns making Ipswich & Thetford ware in Carr Street-Cox Lane area reviewed by Hurst & West (S2)(S3), who published photographs of 1928 kiln with whole pots in situ.
See also (S4-S6).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 141,143; LXIV, 31,33; XCVI, 116 (make into new source).
- <S2> SSF21292 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1963. Some Suffolk kilns: IV. Saxon kilns in Cox Lane, Ipswich, 1961. M. J. Aitken, C. Wells and N. Scarfe)”. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archæology XXIX.3, pp. 304–335.. XXIX.3, pp. 304–335.. XXIX.3, pp. 304–335..
- <S3> SSF7684 Article in serial: Hurst, J. G. and West, S. E.. 1957. Saxo-Norman Pottery in East Anglia. 50, 29-60. Hurst J G & West S E, PCAS, 50, 1957, 29-60.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 3405.
- <S5> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 3405.
- <S6> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 1973-13 (1908), 963-49?.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 11 2017 5:33PM