Monument record HLY 161 - Site of fragmentary, probably multi-phase trackways and fields surrounding settlement site HLY 006
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3427 4433 (1163m by 932m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
April 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Fragmentary trackways and field boundaries, of unknown date but probably of more than one phase, are visible on aerial photographs (S1)-(S7) as cropmarks surrounding a multi-phase settlement site (HLY 006). Parts are clearly contemporary with elements of the settlement, much of which may be of Bronze Age to Roman period date but which also shows clear evidence of Saxon settlement. Some of the ditches could relate to a former channel, which lies adjacent to the northwest corner of the settlement. Both sites are part of a swathe of cropmark field systems, trackways and enclosures visible across the landscape, stretching from the Deben to the coast.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th April 2016.
- <S1> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. CUCAP ADK9-10 15-JUN-1961 (Print).
- <S3> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. CUCAP BXH63-9 15-JUN-1976 (Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. CUCAP RC8EL 147-149 08-JUN-1982 (Print).
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/93360 V 021-022 11-JUL-1993 (EHA Original Print).
- <S7> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 28-APR-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 2:22PM