Monument record ORF 162 - Laboratory Store, circa 1956

Please read our .


Laboratory store, circa 1956. A rectangular reinforced concrete building with an integral flat concrete asphalt covered roof.


Grid reference Centred TM 4403 4858 (10m by 12m)
Map sheet TM44NW


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S1).
Structure F3: To the northwest of Laboratory 1 is the former Laboratory Store is a rectangular reinforced concrete building with an integral flat concrete asphalt covered roof. On the south west side was a large full height entrance which has subsequently been blocked with red brick wall laid to English bond with an off centre, single wooden door beneath a concrete lintel to the southeast. Above it is a centrally mounted external light. The former large opening is flanked by 6-light metal framed windows with wired opaque glass. Below each window is a single protruding L iron with mounting holes. On northwest side was originally a double door opening with the remains of an external light above the door. To its south a 9-light metal framed window with wired opaque glass. A further window to the south has subsequently been blocked with the same type of bricks as on the south face entrance, although these are laid to stretcher bond. The northeast side of the building was lit by two 15-light metal framed windows with opaque wired glass. The southeast side of the building is blank. Internally the building is split into three rooms. The original partition wall between the southwestern and central rooms was constructed of brick laid to English bond, into this has been inserted a single wooden door. The brick used around this insertion matches those used to block the large entrance and window. Remaining in the southern room are two pendant lights, a wall socket and two switches. The original north bay has been divided into two by the insertion of a single skin breeze block wall. The later central room contains two pendant lights, a GEC distribution board/fuse box, and a single small mounting block similar to those in the north bay. On the partition wall are two horizontal wooden boards, the upper was used as a coat rack. In the north
bay itself are five mounting blocks of various sizes and an off centre cable duct running outside beneath the north wall. There is a small vertical brick chimney directly above the largest mounting block, also in the room are the remains of two pendant lights. In the northeast corner of the east wall are several small bore metal pipes running through the wall and back towards the main laboratory buildiings. There are also several pipes of various sizes running through the west wall. On the inserted wall are several plates used for mounting the horizontal boards.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. F3.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 16 2018 12:52PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.