Monument record STN 110 - Post medieval clay extraction pit
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8101 8479 (35m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Large roughly circular shaped pit. Recorded on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition OS maps. Marked ‘Old Clay Pit’ on the 1st edition map (S1) (S2) (S3).
June 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The post medieval clay extraction pit described above is visible as an earthwork on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S4)-(S5). It has been mapped by extent together with its surrounding 'halo' of up-cast spoil. Unfortunately, due to its location on the edge of two tiles of lidar data, the northwest corner is not visible.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 30th June 2017.
- <S1> SSF56405 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2016. Rapid Archaeological Investigation Survey: Downham High Warren, High Lodge, Santon Downham, Suffolk.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Thetford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Survey - Heritage Trail, Downham High Warren, High Lodge, Santon Downham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-242983) (ESF23630)
Record last edited
May 11 2018 1:01PM