Farmstead record FOS 044 - Farmstead: Grove Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4715 8106 (75m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||FROSTENDEN, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Grove Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a loose courtyard and sits alongside a public road in a village location. Only the farmhouse remains.
An historic asset assessment was carried out to inform a Certificate of lawfulness for a proposed extension to the property. Cartographic evidence shows that the building has retained the same footprint since the late 19th century but the fabric if the current building is modern of the mid-late 20th century. The house is a two storey red brick building with a pan-tile roof. Some of the brick work has been painted. The roof is constructed entirely out of modern softwood. A single planked and ledged door if the only surviving historic feature in the building (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF56421 Unpublished document: Prosser, L.. 2014. Historic Asset Assessment Grove Farm Frostenden.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2019 1:22PM