Building record EYE 136 - Bridge House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1444 7408 (23m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Grade II listed House. c1845. Painted brick. Slate roofs. 2 storeys. 3-window range. Centre bay projects. 4-panelled central door with overlight. Doorcase with 2 engaged and fluted columns rising to block entablatures with metopes. Plain frieze and hood. One late C20 top-hung casement right and left with glazing bars set in raised surround. String course over windows. 2-light casement over door and one 6/6 unhorned sash either side. Hipped roof. 2 rendered stacks on rear roof slope. Rear cross wing of 2-storeys. One 8/8 unhorned sash to each floor. Rendered stack (S1).
2015: Heritage Asset Assessment to inform and accompany a planning application to connect the main house to the outbuildings.
A mid-19th century, two-storey Victorian villa with a two-storey rear cross wing and cellar at the NW corner of the main building. It is constructed of brick, with colour-washed elevations and a hipped slate roof. The three stacks are rendered with unpainted brick decorative bands beneath clay pot. The plan is L-shaped with a small two-storey lean-to in the return angle of the rear wing. It appears on the 1886 map but was probably added after the house was built. The small single-storey rear entrance attached to the NE of the store was probably added in the late 20th century and is not shown on the digital maps. There is a small cellar beneath the ground floor bathroom. The SW elevation has a 3-window range with a projecting centre bay and matching projecting window surrounds to the ground floor sashes on either side and a plain string course. All windows are sashes apart from a 19th century 2x3 two-light casement above the door. The doorcase has two engaged plain columns with fluted capitals (Tuscan Doric order) supporting block entablatures with metopes. The frieze and hood are plain, the door is 4-pnnelled and has an overlight with the name ‘Bridge House’. Apart from some minor alterations the house has retained its internal layout.
Cartographic evidence shows that the two outbuildings are contemporary with the main house although they have been altered in the 20th century. Both are single storey with pitched, clay pantile roofs. Principally of brick construction, one of the outbuildings has a large flint panel in the NE wall, small decorative flint panels between the doorways in the SW wall and the NE wall is constructed from flint rubble (S2).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2016 3:21PM