Farmstead record SDL 010 - Farmstead: Home Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7485 5229 (103m by 107m)|
|Civil Parish||STRADISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Home Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a loose courtyard plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a hamlet location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S2; 4-6)
The barns at Home Farm lie in the curtailge of Home Farmhouse a 16th-17th century Grade II listed timber-framed ad plastered 2-storey farmhouse with a tiled roof but are not listed in themselves. The farmhouse, the barn referred to as Unit 1, and a number of other outbuildings are present on the tithe map of 1839 and the 1st edition OS map (S1)(S2). Unit 1 has two phases of construction, the oldest part possibly being pre-1750. The form of it indicates that it was not purpose built as stables and a hayloft and had a previous unknown use. The unit is of black-weatherboard on a brink plinthwith a clay pantile roof. The rear elevation has a corrugated iron sheet roof. Units 2,3,4, and 5 form a courtyard arrangement which was enclosed on all sides until the western range was destroyed in in storm in 1987. They date from between 1889 and 1904 although some may have been rebuilt on the footprint of earlier structures. They are all of black-stained weather-boarding on brick plinths with corrugated iron roofs (S3).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF56683 Map: 1839. Stradishall Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SSF56993 Unpublished document: QUBE. 2007. Historic Buildings Assessment: Home Farm Barns, Stradishall.
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S6> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 4 2020 12:55PM