Building record RGD 016 - Redisham Hall

Please read our .

Summary

19th century grade II listed house and asscoicated buildings

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 4018 8592 (90m by 114m)
Map sheet TM48NW
Civil Parish RINGSFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

The original house built in 1823 for John Garden; considerably enlarged and entirely refaced c.1880 for John Lewis Garden, with further additions of 1904 for Thomas De la Garde Grissell. The upper floor of north wing was rebuilt c.1955. Red brick, with a first floor band, moulded dentil eaves cornice and flat parapet. Slated roof. 2 storeys and attics. 7 windows, the centre 3 bays set slightly forward: inset sashes with glazing bars and moulded brick surrounds; segmental-headed tripartite windows each side of entrance. Most of the ground floor windows are set high to accommodate a basement floor. Early 20th century brick entrance porch with stone clasping pilasters and bracketed segmental hood; entrance door in 2 leaves, approached by a flight of steps. Above the doorway is a coat of arms with the motto 'Press Forward'. 9 bays to rear: the form of the original house is visible in the 5 centre bays with mansard roof and 5 pedimented dormers. French windows lead onto a terrace with wrought iron railings, dated 1905. Attached to the south are various outbuildings, including the coachman's house; further to the left is a single-storey range of stabling, which curves round to the rear. Original entrance hall with vaulted ceiling and 5 semi-circular arched openings, 2 of them blind. Good well stair of stone with a wrought iron balustrade and wreathed mahogany handrail. Modillion-corniced dining room. In the north wing a ballroom with barrel-vaulted ceiling of c.1900, enriched with a lozenge grid and bands of plasterwork with running designs of foilage and flowers; part of a bold convex frieze survives (S1).

2014: A Heritage Statement was produced to inform an application for the residential conversion of the former coach house building. The building was added when Redisham Hall was rebuilt in 1823 and is included in the listing. It is a three bay redbrick building, built in English bond. The ground floor is at two different levels reflecting the ground topography. It has a hipped roof with red pantiles. The first floor ppears to have been inserted during the 1904 alterations. The clock tower was added in 1953 and one of the semi-circular arched windows on the first floor has some highly unusual black and white lithography (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1182824.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Belton, B.. 2014. Heritage Statement: Residential Conversion og Former Coach House Building at Redisham Hall, Ringsfield, Suffolk.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 17 2016 12:50PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.