Monument record LMD 265 - Post Medieval Wall and Surface within cable trench at Melford Hall, Long Melford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8666 4624 (149m by 87m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
2017: Evidence of the brick built outer gatehouse to the north of the hall which is shown on the Pierse estate map of 1613. In addition a brick surface and a brick wall foundation of probable 16th-17th century date were revealed under the drive close to the existing 19th century gatehouse which opens onto the High Street and two, or possibly three, similar early brick wall foundations were exposed to the north of the ha-ha that runs parallel and to the south of the drive though nothing is shown in either of these locations on the 1613 map (S1).
- <S1> SSF57707 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 2017. Archaeological Monitoring Report: Cable Trenching at Melford Hall, Long Melford, Suffolk..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2017 4:18PM