Monument record BSD 028 - Early prehistoric and Roman activity, Land off Grove Hill, Belstead
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1345 4126 (179m by 205m)|
|Civil Parish||BELSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- GULLY (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- GULLY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POST HOLE (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
- PIT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Archaeological evaluation identified residual evidence of early prehistoric activity across the site, and a small but more definite phase of Late Iron Age/Roman activity in the northern part, with a series of ditches indicating systems of probable agricultural land management and material likely deriving from an area of nearby settlement. During the medieval and post-medieval periods the site is likely to have been in agricultural use, with small quantities of material in the subsoil and topsoil presumably deriving from the nearby settlement of Belstead (S1).
Excavation revealed a background scatter of worked flint potentially of Neolithic or Bronze Age date. However , the first incised feature potentially dated to the earlier/middle Iron Age, marking the beginning of a continuous phase of activity that extended into the 2nd century AD. The deposits were initially limited to ditches/gullies, relating to landscape management, probably for arable fields and stock control, and pits. A group of small Iron Age features located at the northern end of the site were recorded as a possible roundhouse, although the evidence for this was not compelling. Given that no definite structural evidence was recorded, but the artefactual assemblage was reasonably large, the site ahs been interpreted as lying within the area of a wider Roman farmstead, but marginally away from the main focus of occupation. Two post-medieval ditches appeared to have been redundant before the surveying of the 1st Edition OS map of the late 19th century (S2).
- --- SSF53742 Unpublished document: Sommers, M., Palmer, R. and Breen, T.. 2009. Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Land South of Grove Hill, Belstead.
- --- SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S1> SSF58830 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Green, M., Brooks, R., and Craven, J.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land south of Grove Hill, Belstead, Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF58863 Unpublished document: Boulter, S., and Cass, S.. 2019. Archaeological Excavation Report: Land south of Grove Hill, Belstead, Ipswich.
- FSF48640: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF48641: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48642: POTTERY (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- FSF48643: CERAMIC (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48644: CERAMIC (Post Roman - 410 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48645: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF48646: BURNT FLINT (Unknown date)
- FSF48647: HAMMERSTONE (Unknown date)
- FSF48648: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48649: VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48650: MOUNT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48651: COIN WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48652: HOOKED TAG (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48653: BUTTON (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF48654: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF48695: QUERN (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC to 409 AD)
- FSF48696: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48697: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48698: FIRED CLAY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF48699: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land off Grove Hill, Belstead (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-280890) (ESF25493)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land South of Grove Hill, Belstead (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-290398) (ESF25651)
- Event - Survey: Land South of Grove Hill, Belstead, Archaeological Desk Based Assessment (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-66476) (ESF20787)
Record last edited
Feb 25 2019 2:35PM