Monument record SUP 035 - Medieval settlement activity, Land at Church Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0715 6037 (654m by 501m)|
|Civil Parish||STOWUPLAND, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
2017: Archaeological evaluation identified three principal areas of archaeological remains. Close to Gipping Road, in the north-west of the site was a group of possible settlement related features comprising a flint cobbled surface, pits and ditches. These all sat within a square ditched enclosure shown on 20th century maps - a possible relict medieval field. Parts of the area were truncated by large post-medieval pits, although an extant pond to the north is thought to represent one corner of a moated enclosure. Against the north-eastern boundary of the site was a concentration of ditches and pits with a large quantity of finds, suggestive of the edge of a settlement, possibly a small farmstead beyond the site boundary. In the north of the site a 12th-13th century ditch system was excavated. These were probably subdivisions of a wider medieval enclosure system that divided the north of the site into 3 major parts until the 20th century. The modern site boundaries are also probably reflective of the medieval layout (S1).
- <S1> SSF58218 Unpublished document: Ladd, S., and Graham, S.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land off Church Road, Stowupland, Suffolk.
- FSF46441: POTTERY (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF46442: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46443: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF46444: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46445: FIRED CLAY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF46446: NAIL (Medieval to IPS: Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
- FSF46447: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46448: OYSTER SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2019 3:09PM