Monument record MRM 011 - Post Office Research Centre (NE corner)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2551 4530 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow - site of (Martlesham Heath Barrow Number 2).
1838: Three barrows shown on one inch OS map.
1962: There are now no traces of this barrow, which has been completely ploughed out (R1).
1974: Site was excavated. No burials were located, but a considerable quantity of Beaker pottery was recovered, together with flint implements (R2).
For more information on beaker see (S1).
- <R1> SSF10892 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, The Excav of Barrows 2, 3, & 4, Martlesham Heath, 1974 E Ang Archaeol, 3, 1976, 17-41.
- <M1> SSF45271 (No record type): Photographs: slides of excavation.
- <S1> SSF6842 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites, BAR 107(i), 1982, 198-199.
- <M2> SSF45272 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE9A.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 2 1997 12:00AM