Monument record MRM 014 - Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2387 4599 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1935: Large bowl barrow covered with conifers. No visible ditch (R1).
1962: Bowl barrow in poor condition, dug into on the W side and almost completely obscured by gorse bushes. Measures 20m N-S by 16m transversely and is 0.5m high (S3).
1977: On heathland on edge of airfield. 19m in diameter, 0.79m high. Covered in gorse and small trees. Depression in centre (S1)(S2).
1985: Old depression N of centre partly silted and with gorse growing on it. Two fresher holes to S of this, both rectilinear, with vertical apparently spade-cut sides in which topsoil and sand were exposed and on which moss is growing. The bottoms are unsilted and covered with leaves, pine needles and rubbish. No vegetation has yet grown in them. Both are approx 40 cms deep. The larger, close to the centre is approx 1.8m x 4. 2m, loose bricks and corrugated iron (?from nearby air raid shelter) plus branches, suggest use as a hide. The smaller W of the centre, is approx 0.7m square. Both must have been dug since 1977 and, from their condition, are only 1-2 years old. Mound covered with gorse, birch, bracken, brambles and rubbish. In narrow (max 20m E-W) strip of heathy woodland between housing to W and newly built Suffolk Constabulary HQ to E (S2).
A round barrow on Martlesham Heath can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM238459. It appears to be circa 26 metres in diameter but is largely obscured by plant growth, making condition difficult to assess. It is most clearly visible on S4. The barrow MRM 015, circa 120 to the south, cannot be seen due to tree cover and other plant growth.
- <R1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <S1> SSF17987 (No record type): SAU (EM), 1977.
- <M1> SSF44658 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <M2> SSF44659 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NW7.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 5052-3 28-JUL-1948.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (8)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13961)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF14021)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF14010)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson-Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson-Mackay R)) (ESF13624)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by NWHCM (Ref: NWHCM) (ESF13133)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13848)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13993)
- Event - Interpretation: The Aggregate Landscape of Suffolk: The Archaeological Resource (NMP) (EXS18925)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:17PM