Monument record WLB 114 - Medieval ditches, Proposed reservoir, Lodge Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4732 7396 (291m by 287m)|
|Civil Parish||WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
2017: Geophysical survey recorded a variety of geophysical anomalies, including those indicative of settlement boundaries, trackways archaeological pits, quarry pits and agricultural furrows (S1)(S3).
2017: Evaluation trenches confirmed that many of the anomalies noted by the geophysical survey were archaeological, primarily ditches forming enclosures or fields containing a few artefacts dated to the medieval period. The medieval pottery assemblage was realtively large for a rural evaluation. A single piece of stone was also recorded; at the apex is a central square aperture, this may have functioned as a weight. Some residual Roman material was also present. A redundant clay extraction pit was seen and is marked on a late 19th century map. The site of a second, larger pit, now backfilled was also seen and was indicated by a large depression and confirmed by the geophysical survey (S2)
- <S1> SSF58261 Unpublished document: Schofield,, T.. 2017. Geophysical Survey Report: Land North of Lodge Road, Walberswick.
- <S2> SSF58399 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Proposed Reservoir Site, Lodge Road, Walberswick.
- <S3> SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF46796: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46797: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Early Medieval to 13th century - 1001 AD to 1299 AD)
- FSF46798: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46799: TEGULA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46800: FIRED CLAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF46801: FLAKE (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF46802: NAIL (Unknown date)
- FSF46803: WEIGHT? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF46804: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Proposed Reservoir Lodge Road, Walberswick (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-298867) (ESF25927)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Proposed Reservoir Lodge Road, Walberswick (Ref: OASIS-cotswold2-318565) (ESF26279)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey - Proposed reservoir Lodge Road, Walberswick (ESF25619)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2018 12:05PM