Monument record RMS 008 - Cropmarks of oval enclosure or funerary monument of uncertain date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3144 4210 (22m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||RAMSHOLT, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- OVAL BARROW (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC?)
- ROUND BARROW (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC?)
- SUBRECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Late Saxon - 4000 BC to 1065 AD?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Late Saxon - 4000 BC to 1065 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Early Neolithic to Late Saxon - 4000 BC to 1065 AD?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- SUBRECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
Ring ditch, circa 30m in diameter, on W side of field system RMS 006, but no positive association with it.
March 2016. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The mapping of this previously recorded ring ditch on (S1) has indicated that it is oval or sub-rectangular in shape. Although this may relate to an oval or ‘round’ barrow of either Neolithic or Bronze Age date, the fact that it is aligned with components of the surrounding field system and trackway (RMS 006) could suggest it is a contemporaneous enclosure. Although undated this cropmark complex is likely to later prehistoric and/or Roman in date, although see RMS 060 for possible Saxon evidence.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th March 2016.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2016 11:39AM