Monument record HWT 054 - Medieval field system and stock enlosures, Old Station Road, Halesworth
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3845 7830 (212m by 123m)|
|Civil Parish||HALESWORTH, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
August 2018: Geophysical survey did not identify any remains of an archaeological nature. Magnetic anomalies identified within the survey area are likely to relate to either modern or agricultural activity, or to be of geological and pedological origin (S1).
September 2018: Archaeological evaluation revealed a series of ditches and gullies on the east side of the site aligned in two directions representing a rectangular field system, including a possible square enclosure in the north-facing side of the valley. Small quantities of pottery retrieved from the features suggested that these date to the 11th or 12 century. Animal bone present in the ditches show that these represent stock enclosures rather than arable fields. Close to the centre of the eastern side of the site was a post-hole, pit and gully filled with charcoal-rich material, evidence of burning. Environmental analysis of the pit and gully fills, identified animal and fish bone, carbonised cereal grain, nutshell, and fired clay suggesting these derived from domestic occupation in the vicinity (S2).
November 2018: Excavation of a medieval enclosure and field systems, featuring a roughly square enclosure with an entrance to the northeast. The entrance may have been created after the infilling of part of the enclosure ditch in that area. Other phasinf included internal divisions that segregated parts of the enclosure Sherds of early medieval pottery, of 11th-13th century, were recovered from ditch fills. As well as the pottery, the excavation recovered samples that contianed fuel waste, fired clay, and animal bone that was interpreted as middening activity (S3).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S4)
- <S1> SSF58793 Unpublished document: James, A.. 2018. Geophysical Survey Report: Land at Old Station Road, Halesworth.
- <S2> SSF58758 Unpublished document: Barton, T.. 2018. Archaelogical Evaluation Report: Land to rear of 34-38 Old Station Road, Halesworth.
- <S3> SSF59052 Unpublished document: Moore, P.. 2018. Archaeological Excavation Report: Land to the rear of 34-48 Old Station Road, Halesworth.
- <S4> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF48328: POTTERY (IPS: Early Medieval to 12th century - 1001 AD to 1199 AD)
- FSF48329: TILE? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF48330: DAUB (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF48331: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF48332: PLANT REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF48917: POTTERY (Early Neolithic to Early Saxon - 4000 BC to 649 AD)
- FSF48918: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1100 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF48919: KNIFE (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF48920: FITTING (Unknown date)
- FSF48921: HAMMERSCALE (Undated)
- FSF48922: METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Land to Rear Of 34-48, Old Station Road, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS-cfaarcha1-296757) (ESF25830)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Land to Rear of 34-38 Old Station Road, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS-archaeol11-319113) (ESF25949)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey - Old Station Road, Halesworth (Ref: OASIS-northern1-293660) (ESF25791)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2019 10:58AM