Monument record CRM 086 - Medieval agricultural and suggested industrial activity, Land adjacent 54 All Saints Road
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1002 5699 (116m by 113m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST MARY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Archaeological evaluation identified widespread evidence of medieval agricultural activity , and some evidence for medieval settlement in the wider vicinity of the site (S1).
Excavation and monitoring recorded a well preserved series of features and finds across thru site. This included evidence of typical domestic, light industrial and agricultural activity. This is mainly of 13th-14th date, with a lower quantity of 11th-12th century finds and very limited material pre-dating this. The bulk of the finds retrieved comprised a relatively large assemblage of pottery, alongside lower levels of animal bone, shell, CBM, fired clay, lavastone, and post-medieval glass and nails. There were also small quantities of Roman brick and tile. Deposits of slag and ferrous spheroids suggest nearby smithing in the medieval period. Medieval structures are likely to be present nearby, possibly in the adjacent plot to the north-east (S2).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S3)
- --- SSF58617 Article in serial: Minter, F. and Saunders, A.. 2018. Archaeology in Suffolk 2017, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- <S1> SSF58822 Unpublished document: Douglas, C.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land adjacent 54 All Saints Road, Creeting St Mary.
- <S2> SSF58860 Unpublished document: Brooks, R.. Archaeological Excavation and Monitoring Report: Land adjacent 54 All Saints Road, Creeting St Mary.
- <S3> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF48612: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48613: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48614: ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48615: SLAG (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48616: QUERN? (Undated)
- FSF48617: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48618: OYSTER SHELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48619: TERRESTRIAL MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48620: POTTERY (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF48679: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48680: CERAMIC (Roman to Medieval - 43 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48681: FIRED CLAY (Unknown date)
- FSF48682: (Undated)
- FSF48683: TOBACCO PIPE (17th century to 19th century - 1600 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF48684: NAIL (Unknown date)
- FSF48685: PLANT REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2019 4:42PM