Building record ETN 024 - Barns at Home Farm, Easton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2905 5778 (37m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||EASTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2016: Heritage Asset Assessment ahead of the conversion of two barns to residential use at Home Farm. The barns are not listed but are within the curtliage of Glevering House, a Grade II listed building former farmhouse (See ETN 026) with which some of the Home Farm buildings were originally associated until the late 20th century. The farmyard is located to the North and West of the listed farmhouse. Home Farm was originally part of the Glevering Park Estate. The earliest map showing Home Farm is 1826 illustrating the farmhouse, two ponds, two farm buildings to the NW and two to the SE. By 1838 additional buildings are shown on the Tithe Map and the farmyard divided into a series of small enclosures, Another building to the SW of the farmhouse is shown plus an additional pond. By 1883 the buildings attached to the S side of the north barn have been extended and there is an additional building next to the road, also to the west of the farmhouse and a new range to the SE of the farmhouse alongside the road. By 1904, Home Farm is named on the OS map and three buildings have been constructed to the north of the site in the former sand pit. The smallest one, brick built with a pantile roof still exists. Two open fronted buildings (probably cattle sheds) have been built onto the SE elevation of the large barn to the north side of the farmhouse and front into enclosed yards. The north pond has gone but two ponds to the W and S are still shown. An additional open fronted building has been built to the SW of the farm house and a shed added to the group of buildings to the SE. The Glevering Park Estate was offered for sale by auction in 1936. The 1957 OS map shows the covered cattle yard attached ot the barn. The map also names the farmhouse as Glevering House which indicates that the house has been separated from the farmyard. Home Farm was used primarily for dairy and there was a milking parlour in the main barn. The small lean to on the SE elevation was the engine house for the milking machines. By 1999 the large barn with attached cattle sheds and covered yards were gone.
Barn A, the former milking parlour, and Barn D, the cow shed, are part of a group of five former buildings at Home Farm which are no longer in agricultural use.
Barn A is constructed from fletton brick (flemish bond) with a pitched, clay pantile roof and it is a former dairy/milking parlour. The building has four timber louvred roof ventilators along the ridge, each roofed with clay pantiles. There is a semi-circular headed window with cast iron frame and glazing bars in the NE elevation. The SE and NW elevations have five high level, timber windows and there is a stable-type door and a timber sliding door in the SE elevation. There is a small lean to extention which formerly housed a stationary engine to power the milking machinery.
Barn D, which formerly housed cattle, is aligned on a NW/SE axis along the SW boundary of the site. It is a single-storey, timber framed, weather boarded building standing on a fletton brick plinth, with a pitched clay pantile roof. The building has three sets of timber double doors (S1).
See ETN 026 for former farmhouse, Glevering House.
- <S1> SSF58437 Unpublished document: Blanchflower, J.. 2016. Heritage Asset Assessment, Home Farm Glevering, Easton Road, Easton.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2019 11:19AM