Monument record MTN 009 - Rectilinear field system of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2917 5038 (239m by 394m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MELTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Complex pattern of field boundaries, some forming rectilinear patterns (S1). Low lying next to River Deben. Only part to S now remains, rest quarried away 1986-1988 (S2).
June 1990: Site visit prior to quarrying S area. Already partially stripped, only features surviving in gravel below alluvium were modern field ditches. From alluvium only finds 10 (8 dubious) flint flakes (S3).
A rectilinear ditched field system of unknown date is visible as cropmarks on an aerial photograph taken in 1976 (S1). The cropmarks are centred on TM 29135040 and cover an area of approximately 0.031 km2. The field system consists of two roughly rectangular adjoined enclosures, the more northerly enclosing an area 83m by 43m and the one to the south enclosing an area roughly 50m by 51m. Within the more southerly enclosure, three sides of a much smaller rectilinear enclosure are visible. This enclosure is centred on TM 29125037. To the north of the enclosures a trackway is visible running roughly east to west for 52m from TM 29075049 to TM 29125048. Another short stretch of trackway can be seen running east for 22m from TM 29105025. The ditch that defines the northern side of this trackway turns northwards at TM 29125026 and runs for a further 152m, to the western side of the rectangular enclosures. To the north of the site, centred on TM 29125053, a jumble of other less coherent linear ditches can be seen, some of which may represent the corners of other rectilinear enclosures. The date of this field system is unclear. (S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXH48) 15-JUN-1976.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BXH 48.
- <S2> SSF19960 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, MTN 009, May 1989, map.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2)(S3).
- <S3> SSF19959 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, MTN 009, June 1990, map.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 11 Jun 2002.
- FSF11024: WORKED OBJECT (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 6 2020 2:05PM