Monument record BRD 304 - Former trackway or drove of potential medieval to post medieval date at site of Game Farm prehistoric settlement (BRD 154).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7970 8672 (38m by 86m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
March 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The former earthworks and vegetation marks of hollowed track or drove is visible on historic aerial photographs (S1-S3) at the site of the excavated Middle to Late Bronze Age settlement at Game Farm (BRD 154) (S4). The drove appears to run NE-SW across the site and largely falls outside of the main open excavation areas. Although it is interesting to note that this feature does not have been picked up during the evaluations, other than potentially at its northeastern end in Trench 1 (S5). Although it may be that the traces if it had been removed in places since the 1940s. The route is possible a continuation of the droves and trackways recorded to the east (STN 124) and BRD 281 to the south.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th March 2017.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/227 FS 2150-2051 17-APR-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1634 RS 2401-2402 09-JUL-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/2021 RP 3062-3063 21-APR-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference.
- <S5> SSF51558 Unpublished document: Gill, D.. 1999. Evaluation report. Game Farm, Brandon.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 9:12AM