Monument record BGL 009 - Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath; Brightwell Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2456 4479 (25m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Bowl Barrow in Birch Grove, Martlesham Heath. One of 'Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath'. Round Barrow. 1935: Bowl barrow. Badly dilapidated at E (S1).
1962: A small bowl barrow, in bracken, measuring 8.5m in diameter and 0.8m high. It has a shallow depression at the centre but is otherwise apparently in good condition. There is no visible ditch (S2).
1974: Unlocated in dense bracken.
June 1981: Bracken covered, depression in centre and contiguous bank to west. Approximately one metre high. Details and sketch in parish file (S4).
1982: Presumed destroyed.
1984: Relocated, circa 8m in diameter. Garden of new building plot.
1985: Recently re-discovered during clearance prior to building. In woodland and covered with bracken and birch. Surviving to approx 0.5m high with a slight trace of ditch to S. E edge crossed by a footpath. Now marked by Bidwells with a ring of 5cm x 5cm wooden stakes set inside the ditch and a notice saying 'Tumulus please keep clear' (S3).
1989: Owner carried out illegal levelling work (dumping and stripping) and was fined (in 1990).
Now in Martlesham parish following boundary change.
- <S1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF46196 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <M2> SSF46197 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW17.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: correspondence, (S4).
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU, Martin E, site report, June 1981, plan.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13875)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13998)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H_ (Ref: DOE (Paterson H_) (ESF13970)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson-Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson-Mackay R)) (ESF13267)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13662)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:49AM