Monument record STN 188 - Possible boundary of Santon Downham Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8339 8617 (1245m by 969m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
February 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An alignment of boundary banks is visible as earthworks on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S1). The banks (and occasional ditches) are also partially depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map (S2). The alignment corresponds with the southwestern boundary of Santon Downham rabbit warren, as outlined by the Breckland Society warrens survey (S3). However, a later survey (S4) suggests that the warren was more extensive, in which case the banks may represent an internal subdivision. As the lidar survey was flown relatively recently, it is likely that the earthworks still survive.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st February 2018.
2010 The Breckland Society survey The Warrens of Breckland identified a comparitavely small warren. Its boundary banks are clearly visible and there is a complex series of parallel banks which may be trapping banks (S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Santon Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S2> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
- <S3> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. p30.
- <S4> SSF58551 Unpublished document: The Breckland Society. 2017. The Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens. p.20.
- <S5> SSF58553 Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheet TL88NW/89SW, Mapping Block 1: 'Brecks from Above' NMP Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland National Mapping Programme (NMP) Project (ESF25813)
- Event - Survey: Survey - Internal Archaeology of the Breckland Warrens (ESF26238)
- Event - Survey: Survey by The Breckland Society - The Warrens of Breckland (ESF26143)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 11:18AM