Building record SUY 166 - 17 Market Hill, Sudbury
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8739 4134 (19m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Grade II Listed building with Nos 17,18 and 18A: 3 shops with accommodation over. Late C18, altered C19. Rendered and colourwashed brick; slate roofs, No. 18A with pantiled rear wing. EXTERIOR: Nos. 17 and 18 of 3 storeys; 5-window range. No. 17 with early C20 4-panelled door to left of elevation leading to accommodation on upper floors. Mid C20 plate-glass display window with central entrance, defined by panelled pilasters. No. 18 with early C20 bowed plate-glass display window to right of recessed glazed door. One 4-panelled door to right of elevation leading to accommodation. First floor with 5 6/6 unhorned sashes under rendered drip mouldings. 5 3/3 unhorned sashes to second floor, also with rendered drip mouldings. Second floor raised in mid C19 and fitted with parapet in front of flat roof. Internal gable-end stack to east. No. 18A of 3 storeys; single-window range. Late C20 plate-glass display window to ground floor and one mid C20 2-light casement to each floor above under rendered drip moulding. Hipped roof. INTERIORS: No. 17 opened into single retail sales area; upper floors not inspected. No. 18 ground floor without features of interest; upper floors not inspected. No. 18A: ground floor with partial timber framing to ground floor front, the remains of an earlier structure otherwise rebuilt. Remainder of ground floor opened into single retail sales area. First floor with one blocked window in west wall (S2).
2004 Historic Building recording: Grade II Listed building with a typical late Georgian town-house plan. No 17/17a Market Hill was redeveloped in c. 1820s as a substantial shop premises with living quarters above. The façade suggests that No18 was built at the same time but may have been separately occupied (not examined). A large number of the timbers from a previous house were recut and used as studwork walling and for the rafters of the main roof; the cellar was excavated or re-excavated at this date. The Front Range Block A: The shop front and main sales area have been refurbished many times in 20th century. The only historical feature is the side passage entry to the left, which remains from the early 19th century and appears to be a match for the mirrored arrangement at No 18 next door. The first floor survived almost intact from the original design. The front drawing room is a typical example of the late Georgian period; all its joinery is intact apart from the fireplace. The rear first floor part of block A comprising a possible dining room, passages and staircases, has original but very plain joinery. The staircase rising to the first floor has a moulded mahogany handrail, turned newel and stick balusters. The second floor and cellar have been little altered since construction in about the 1820s. Block B is a two storey lean-to roofed block constructed of gault brick with slated roof in the late 19th century or c.1900. It encapsulates at ground storey level a small office or sitting room of c.1820 which at first seems to have been a single storey extension to the rear of Block A. Block B is to be demolished. Block C was constructed in the late 19th century. Block D was constructed about 1800 and may be contemporary with Block A. It is of traditional vernacular construction and is attractive with rough-cast render lime washed on the west face and has a plain tiled roof. There are original small-pane windows on the north and west sides. Block E is a single-storeyed flat roofed extension dating from the mid-late 20th century (S1).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2018 4:52PM