Monument record HNV 040 - Formal Gardens, Hengrave Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8233 6851 (223m by 161m)|
|Civil Parish||HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Formal Gardens of Hengrave Hall.
Sir Thomas Kytson brought a 'Dutch-man' from Norwich to 'view ye orchardes, gardyns and walkes', and later paid him for 'clypping the knotts, altering the alleys, setting the grounde, finding herbes and bordering the same' in 1570s. Remains of 16th/17th century walled garden enclosure are incorporated into walled gardens of mainly 18th and 19th century. An article in 'The Gardener's Chronicle in 1881' described a flower garden to the west of the hall '…tastefully laid out in the usual geometric style' designed by 'the late MR Nesfield'. The 1839 Tithe Map shows an oval parterre. The outline of the garden still exists but simplified. Terraces to east, north and est, cross paths and central pond (S1, S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2018 1:52PM