Monument record CLA 124 - Medieval pits and a ditch indicating occupation, 13 Callis Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7694 4566 (6m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Archaeological evaluation identified two pits and a ditch, all originating from the medieval period, as well as a possible pit dated to the modern period. A large amount of domestic refuse recovered from the medieval features indicate that this area formed a site of occupation from around the 12th to the 15th century. The residual presence of prehistoric flints and Roamn material also suggests habitation in the vicinity of the site during these earlier periods (S1).
Included in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History annual round up of individual finds and discoveries for 2018. (S2)
- <S1> SSF59060 Unpublished document: Hicks, E.. 2018. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Land to the rear of 13 Callis Street, Clare.
- <S2> SSF59230 Article in serial: Minter, F., Rolfe, J. and Saunders, A.. 2019. Archaeology in Suffolk 2018, Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History.
- FSF48939: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF48940: POTTERY (Early Saxon to 14th century - 410 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF48941: FIRED CLAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF48942: TILE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48943: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF48944: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2022 3:57PM