Monument record LVT 014 - Cropmark of Oval Enclosure, Levington Hall (E of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2415 3922 (39m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Oval enclosure, possible long barrow (S1)(S5). Between LVT 012 and SNH 001.
A possible Neolithic long barrow or long mortuary enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 24153922 to the east of Levington Hall. The feature is visible as the partial cropmark of an oval ditched enclosure, measuring around 20m in width and at least 30m in length, although it is possible that the enclosure could be much longer as its western end has either been destroyed or obscured. It is possible that the enclosure could represent the remains of a funerary site of Neolithic date. It is could be some sort of mortuary enclosure or long mound. It lacks any diagnostic evidence of a mound or quarry ditches along either side. (S1-S4)
- <M1> SSF38071 (No record type): APs: ACU 17-19.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2439/3 (SFU 11550/17) 25-JUL-1975.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2439/4 (SFU 11550/18) 25-JUL-1975.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2439/5 (SFU 11550/19) 25-JUL-1975.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2439/1 (956/318) 7 JUN 1976.
- <S5> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2018 2:39PM