Farmstead record BLB 157 - Farmstead: Hawthorne Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4535 7512 (80m by 111m)|
|Civil Parish||BLYTHBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Hawthorne Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS map and Blythburgh Tithe map. The farmhouse is listed and dated to the mid 16th century. The farmstead is laid out in a full regular courtyard with further detached elements, and a detached farmhouse set away from the yard. The farmstead is set alongside a public road in a village location. The farmhouse a two ranges from the full courtyard remain, all other working buildings have been lost representing a significant change (50%).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59192 Map: Blythburgh Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2019 8:46AM