Monument record IKL 362 - Large embanked earthwork pit.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (12)
- PIT (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
- BOMB CRATER? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- PIT (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
- PIT (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- EXTRACTIVE PIT? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
June 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A large roughly circular embanked pit can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1-S2). The pit is surrounded by embanked earthwork sides and seems to be out of use on the 1940s aerial photographs. It is possible that the pit may have related to an extraction pit not seen on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey (S3) map or may have related to a military training feature as part of the Elveden Explosive area First World War tank training area (IKL 352) in close proximity. It is also possible that this feature may be a large explosive crater relating to the Second World War bombing range (IKL 353) at Berners Heath. The pit is in close relation to post medieval boundary banks to the east (IKL 357) and the west (IKL 346).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st June 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1801 RS 3175-3176 25-OCT-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2020 12:19PM