Monument record IKL 363 - Undated earthwork bank.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (9)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (First World War - 1914 AD? to 1918 AD?)
June 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An undated bank is seen as an earthwork in the 1950s (which has since been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1). The bank may have related to the Second World War buildings (IKL 353) and bombing range to the east or to a possible post medieval boundary which is not marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3). It is also possible, although less likely, that this feature may have related to the First World War tank training undertaken in this area (IKL 353). The bank is in close proximity to a fragmented post medieval boundary bank and ditch to the west (IKL 360). The feature is presumed to have been levelled as the bank is not visible on visualised lidar data from a recent (2015) survey(S2).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st June 2019
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/82/1079 F22 0027-0028 08-FEB-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2020 12:25PM