Monument record IKL 367 - Three undated possible mounds.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (8)
- MOUND (Unknown date)
- MOUND (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARROW? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Three mounds of an unknown date are seen as earthworks (which have subsequently been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1-S2). The features consist of two small mounds or banks and a large roughly oval shaped mound. The features may possibly relate to sections of a former post medieval boundary bank. It is possible that the large mound is earlier in date and could be a Neolithic barrow; however, this is less likely than the features relating to a post medieval boundary bank. The large mound is mapped on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S4).The earthworks can be seen clearly in the 1940s and are presumed to have been levelled by the 1970s. The large mound can possibly be seen as a soilmark on recent (2008 and 2014) aerial photographs (S3).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 8th August 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/3G/TUD/UK/60 V 5131-5132 05-FEB-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/76060 V 223-224 24-MAY-1976 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM SEPT-2008 and MAR-2014 ACCESSED 18-SEP-2013 (Digital).
- <S4> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2020 2:48PM