Monument record WSW 212 - A group of undated banks and ditches.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (10)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- TRACKWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
October 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A group of undated banks and ditches are seen as earthworks on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1 and S3). The banks and ditches are on multiple alignments and are situated either side of a watercourse. It is possible that the banks and ditches may relate to medieval-post medieval boundaries as well as sections of bank (centred at TL8195 71588, TL 8214 7168 and TL 82235 7177) possibly relating to a post medieval trackway mapped on the Frist Edition Ordnance survey map (S4). However, it is also possible that the earthworks may be natural features associated with the watercourse, agricultural features or post medieval – modern drainage. The banks and ditches are seen as earthworks in the 1940s and have mostly been levelled by the 1950s (S2) with some of the features surviving as earthworks on the visualised lidar data. The banks and ditches are in close proximity to Wordwell medieval settlement remains (WRW 003) approximately 800m to the north east and banks and ditches possibly associated with West Stow Hall to the south (WSW 047).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 31st October 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/3G/TUD/UK/61 V 5031-5033 05-FEB-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2677 F21 0247-0248 21-JAN-1959 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S4> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2020 12:54PM