Farmstead record BTT 042 - Farmstead: Lower Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9651 5512 (83m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||BRETTENHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Lower Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a dispersed plan. The farmhouse is detached from the working buildings. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with additional modern sheds onsite. (S1-4)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
2019: Archaeological Monitoring of the foundations for extensions to the existing dwelling of Lower Farm was undertaken. One undated pit was encountered. No finds were present (S5).
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SSF60327 Unpublished document: Barlow, G and Bingham, K. 2019. Archaeological Monitoring: Proposed extension, Lower Farm, Lower Farm Road, Brettenham.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2022 12:16PM