Monument record CUL 085 - Undated earthwork banks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (6)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- GARDEN FEATURE? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
December 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Multiple earthwork banks of unknown date are seen as earthworks on visualised lidar data (S1). The banks possibly relate to post medieval boundary banks, possible medieval-post medieval settlement features possibly relating to the site of Culford post medieval village (CUL 033) or possible park and garden features relating to Culford hall to the north (CUL 021 and CUL 022). It is also possible that the large and curved banks located at TL 8330 70139 may relate to modern water management. The banks are not seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map (S2). The banks are in close proximity to a possible medieval- post medieval moat (CUL 034) to the west and the site of Culford post medieval village to the north (CUL 033).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 03rd December 2019.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2020 2:30PM