Monument record ELV 197 - Probable post medieval boundary banks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (7)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- GARDEN FEATURE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Multiple banks, possibly dating to the post medieval period, are seen as earthworks (which have since been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1-S2). The banks most likely relate to post medieval boundary banks and may possibly relate to post medieval park and gardens features associated with Elveden hall (ELV 009) to the north. The majority of the banks are not mapped on the First Edition Ordnance Survey (OS) map (S3); however, it is possible that the banks at TL 8245 7807 and at TL 8303 7811 may relate to trackways mapped on the First Edition OS map. The banks can be seen as earthworks in the 1940s and are presumed to have been levelled as the features are not seen on recent (2016) aerial photographs. The banks are in close proximity to a large probable boundary bank (ELV 015) and further probable post medieval boundary banks or garden features to the west (ELV 194). Due to a lack of adequate control points when rectifying the photos, the locational accuracy of the mapping may have been slightly reduced.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st January 2020.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/129 FP 1068-1070 14-FEB-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Next Perspectives APGB Imagery TL8277, TL8278, TL8378 03-JUL-2010 (Digital Colour).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2020 2:23PM