Monument record OTY 007 - Moated inclosure adjoining the churchyard of Otley
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2048 5498 (104m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||OTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
`A moated inclosure adjoining the churchyard of Otley on the north-north- east side, with the entrance near the church, is surrounded by a trench averaging 8ft deep' (S1)(R1). Defined on 1st ed OS map, 1837. Earthworks, ponds and ditches, adjoins NE corner of churchyard. 1987: Finds of pottery, `some years ago', reported by Mr J Taylor, Howes Farm, Martlesham, include 1 Rom C1 jar rim sherd and 1160gms Med pottery:- 19 rims (including l large jug rim), 1 strap handle, 5 base & 21 body sherds (S2).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25SW5.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 614.
- <S2> SSF22028 (No record type): Taylor J per SAU (Newman J & Plouviez J), finds report, March 1987.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2016 10:07AM