Monument record MNL 1156 - Large are of Mildenhall Fen Centered on Cross Bank
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 6692 8056 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
"A great number of flint artifacts and flakes, pot boilers, bits of beaker and rusticated potsherds of the early Bronze Age and some polished Neolithic axe heads have been found during the period 1925-1949. Also charcoal and a few middle Bronze Age axeheads. It is the most prolific late Neolithic and early Bronze Age area that is known to me." (S1-S4)
Area visited 10.2.51. Site overgrown with grass, nil seen.
(Area centred TL 66928056) Extends 2kms N-S, 1KM E-W. (S5)
Nothing visible on OS APs. (S6)
- <S1> SSF59860 Map: Corr 6" (G Fowler, 1949). 1949. Annotated Record Map.
- <S2> SSF59876 Article in serial: W. F. Grimes. 1932. The Early Bronze Age Flint Dagger in England and Wales.
- <S3> SSF59877 Article in serial: Cambridge Antiquarian Society. 1915. Lists of Purchases for the Museum during the years 1911-1914..
- <S4> SSF59878 Article in serial: F. E. S. Roe. 1966. The Battle-Axe Series in Britain.
- <S5> SSF11308 Cartographic materials: Briscoe, G. 1951. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <S6> SSF59879 Photograph: Ordnance Survey. OS 71-216 185-6.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF52272: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF52273: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF52274: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF52275: FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF52276: POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF52277: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF52278: AXEHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2020 10:44AM