Monument record WTN 002 - Berghersh House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 181 524 (110m by 107m)|
|Civil Parish||WITNESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Berghersh House Moated site.
1959: Fine water-filled moat in good condition away from later house. Cropmark noted in centre in dry weather (S2).
1981: Interior under crop. Moat wet but badly blocked with wood in some places (S2).
1986: The state of the moat was difficult to judge because it was frozen. Projecting dead tree trunks suggested that it was far from clear (S2). 1987: Moat. Large, square, unoccupied, isolated. Squarish extension at NE corner. Causeway entrances to SE and SW; these may also have fulfilled function as dams to retain high water level in N sector of moat which I am informed by owner was used as water source for house.
Interior under plough, large amounts of roof tile especially along S side, peg tile and one fragment glazed ridge tile ? C13 - C15. No other building debris visible but not systematically walked (S1).
Site of Berghersh House (R1).
`1991 - Destroyed by fire. Present house is known as Berghersh Place. The moat no longer exists' (S3). Clearly an error, moat does survive (S4). April 1998: Scheduled area slightly revised. Details in (S2).
- <S1> SSF19060 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, 1987.
- <M1> SSF46890 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15SE4.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: correspondence, field report.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S4> SSF989 (No record type): Bamford H.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13900)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Mackay R R) (Ref: DOE (Mackay R R)) (ESF13340)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13699)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (RDC) (Ref: SAU (RDC)) (ESF13977)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14659)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 12:50PM