Monument record BRH 015 - Iron Age settlement site, Sandy Lane Pit
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1347 5149 (44m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- PIT (Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age - 760 BC to 620 BC)
- FURNACE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- OVEN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- HUT CIRCLE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- HOUSE (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
Site lies on the top of a hill, overlooking Gipping valley, adjacent to gravel quarry. Quarrying in November 1978 revealed a pit containing a furnace or oven which incorporated fragments of a large Late BA/Early IA jar of West Harling type. Radiocarbon date of 2640 +/- 70bp, cal BC 845-795, HAR-3610.
Further work undertaken on site in April and May-June 1979 when area of approximately 720sq.m was examined, revealing a second smaller oven and a roughly circular post built house approximately 11m in diameter. The house site seems to be associated with Darmsden style pottery. A shallow pit, cut into a patch of clay in the sub-soil, contained pottery of C3-C1 BC. Details in (S2) and excavation archive.
See also Rom & BA.
1989: Pottery and saddle quern fragment (S1)
- <S1> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman J, SCCAS 1989.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: summary report.
- <M2> SSF40071 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S2> SSF53887 Bibliographic reference: Martin E. 1993. Settlements on Hill-tops: Seven Prehistoric Sites in Suffolk. EAA 65. EAA 65, 23-40, ill.
- <M3> SSF40072 (No record type): Photographs: CAM 9-11.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 18 2020 11:00PM